Friday, February 19, 2010

Texas Adventure ~ Day 1 & 2

~2/17~

Mom and I started off for Texas around 5:30am. Mom drove to Troy (which I think is 2 1/2 hours away) and she got sleepy so, we pulled over and she let me drive. I drove from Troy to the Alabama/Mississippi State line. Mom drove through Mississippi but, she let me drive the last 1 hour and 45 minutes so that I could say that I drove across the Mississippi River going (since I drove over it, going to Alabama last year with grandma) to Texas. Mom drove from the Louisiana line all the way to Dallas and to Irving (which is a suburb of Dallas). We got to Dallas at 8:00 Wednesday night.

~2/18~

Will has been diagnosed with something called: CML. CML = Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia. Today was sad day. I could not cry really hard like I wanted to. All I could do was tear up. I'm scared for my brothers safety. I am careful to make sure that he does not lift anything heavy. The doc says that Wil has probably had this CML stuff for a year if not 2.

It looks like that I will be celebrating my 24th b-day here in Texas.

We (Mom and I are helping Will to set up the new wireless router that we bought him since he didn't have one. Mom was using his computer to work on and I was using someone else's internet connection.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

For those of you who did not get the email that Mom wrote, here it is:

I made a hurried trip to Dallas on Wednesday. Will had found out on Monday afternoon that his doctor was sending him to an oncologist. The appointment was today, Thursday.

We found out today that the reason for calling the oncologist was Will’s white blood count was extremely high (20 time the upper range of normal) and his iron was low.

Today, the wbc count was off the charts. The oncologist, Dr. Mirtsching is 99.9% sure it is CML, chronic myelogenous leukemia. We will know for sure in three to five days when the results of the bone marrow come back. But since the wbc was so high, they are starting treatment right away.

Ten years ago, this meant an automatic bone marrow transfusion. Today they have a choice of two or three drugs. The one that has been in use for about 10 years is Gleevec. It has a success rate of 93% and is very safe and the drug of choice for now. It is very expensive (five to six thousand dollars per month) but Will has good insurance. He will only have to pay $100 per month once his deductible is met. He met that today.

He will be out of work for at least a week, maybe two, due to the side effects and daily monitoring required b/c of his body throwing off so many white blood cells at once. It will stress his kidneys and what else, I can’t remember right now. The doctor said I need to stay out here until the side effects have passed. Again, at least a week, maybe two. Once he is past this stage, his life will be pretty much normal.

Our first goal of treatment which should occur in 0-3months is hematologic remission. This is when the blood work (wbc & iron) looks “good.” By that I’m assuming the doctor meant “normal.”

The second goal is to have cytogenic remission in six months or less. That is when the bone marrow is normal.

The third goal, hopefully to be met in a year is molecular remission. This is when the stem cells in the bone marrow look normal.

Even if these goals are met, Will will have to be on the medication for the rest of his life. But things could be worse. I trust God that that will not be the case.

I am sorry to be so lengthy. I know this is information overload for some, but I also know several on the list would want these details and I don’t feel like sorting that our right now. I am sure I left some people off, so feel free to forward. I hope I got it all right, but we had a lot to absorb today.

Please pray that the Gleevec works and the remission goals are met. Pray that the side effects will be mild and that Will can return to work in a week or two at the most. He will be miserable not working. Pray that we all adjust to coping with this the rest of our lives. Pray for Thomas while I am away for so long. Pray for Will when I have to leave him.

We’ve had a rough day, but God is good and gracious. Even though we’ve cried, he has also brought us laughter too. He has already provided so well in many ways. Those of you who know Will’s history know that God has brought him through rough waters before and I know He will again.

Thanks so much for your friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment