Monday, October 24, 2011

Getting my G.E.D

Romans 8:28 ~ "And we know that ALL THINGS work together for good to those who love God and to those who are called according to his purpose."

Getting my GED has been hard. I have had many unsuccessful attempts! Until this year....

I can't remember exactly when I first started attempting to get it but, I think it was in 2006 and for the second attempt it was 2009.

In the fall of 2010, I felt so secure in my position at the vet office. (HINT: Never be secure in your jobs because it can be taken away from you in a heartbeat!!) I was the receptionist! I can do this!! The thought of getting the GED entered my mind but, it stayed in the back.... way back. I didn't think about it again until, the unthinkable happened! I lost my job (on December 13, 2010)! I was upset for a while but, I realized that I could not be upset with my bosses! They are one of the nicest people ever!!

I went and thanked them (my boss and his wife) for it later because if it hadn't of been for them firing me, I would never have gotten the incentive to take GED classes!!

**Enters 2011**

Many of you know (or might not know) that I have a very difficult time with learning. I did graduate (from homeschooling) with a few contingencies (meaning that I just squeaked by enough to satisfy the State). I do have a diploma and it says that I graduated from my homeschool group but, it is not accredited! Why you ask? To get into college (in Alabama) you have to make a certain score on the SAT (or is it ACT?) or you have to have graduated from an accredited school. I have never tested well and I knew that with my learning disability that I could not make enough to pass a test to get into college so, I'm having to take classes and get a G.E.D (General Equivalent Diploma).

Anyway, I was not overly anxious to try again but, I decided to give my teacher -to-be a chance. I knew of her and my parents knew of her and her husband. Her husband works at the local experiment station (I'll explain what that is later) and they go to our church. I prayed about getting my GED again and I told God, "Lord, you talk about stepping out on faith on things. Well, I'm stepping out on faith! I can’t do this on my own and I would like your help! Please help me to see this through!" I'm truly amazed that I have stayed with it this long!! God is so good!!!


Ephesians 4:6 ~ "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything through prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus"


I've not really been scared but, I have been tested both mentally and physically. There have been days when I didn't want to go but, then, I would remember what Mrs. Vickie would say to me when I got discouraged. She didn't say anything special but, she would simply say: "Kate, don't get discouraged. I believe in you and I KNOW that you can do it and get it done!!" I have been so faithful in going to my classes that she would understand if/when I told her that I needed a break.

I've been taking classes since January 11 and I had a plan! I was going to be done with class in May and I was going to graduate. Well, that didn't work out so, I have a new plan!!! I'm hoping (and with God's help) to graduate in December!!

I feel like I'm putting my heart on my sleeve with this. Go easy on me, please!! My life is much harder than y'all think!!

Jeremiah 29:11 ~ "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you hope and a future."

1 comment:

  1. good luck! One of these days I'm going to have to get mine too. :)

    ReplyDelete