Thursday, May 29, 2014

Getting my new (used) car

As y'all may not know, I totaled my 2011 Chevy Cruze on May 14. The post that I posted about buying the car can be read here.



The short story is that I was not paying attention.

The longer story is that I was coming home from my boyfriends house in Troy and I got to Ozark and I saw a light was red and I took my foot off the gas and so, I was coasting (during which time the light turns green). I was speak to text-ing into my phone (to tell him that I was going to stop at a gas station less than a mile up the road *kicks self*) and then I looked up from my phone and BAM! This is what happened:




 I went to the Chevy dealership (where I take my car to get serviced) the next day and took the following pictures. It looked even worse in the daylight *sniffles*




All I can say is that through my stupidity (and yes, I did know better), God protected me and I'm so thankful for that! Like my SIL (sister in law) would say: "I'm sorry it happened but, I'm glad no one got hurt. Like Chris would say: "The car did what it was designed to do and that was to protect my baby" Like my Mom would say: "Kate, you hit the best thing you could hit. If you had did something like hydroplane (it was raining), we could be having a completely different story.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

This is where today (May 28) comes in.

This morning, Mom and I got in the rental car (that we rented yesterday (May 27). We decided to rent one because the mere thought of me driving in Birmingham traffic in one car while Mom was in another was horrifying to me) and drove up to Huntsville (we left at 6:30am). Of course, going down the road I took a picture when we started down the road from home ....

 

...and then I took another when we were driving by the US Space and Rocket Center!

 

This is the car (below) that I BOUGHT with the money that the insurance gave me. Daddy and Momma DID NOT help me purchase the car. The only thing that Mom will do (IF she needs to) is pay for my tag and title to get transferred (and I will reimburse her when I get the money because, I'm broke). I have the remaining balance on my extended warranty (that I did not use) coming soon though. Here is the picture:


It has all the bells and whistles that my car had (well, give or take a few) and it is a newer year (2012) and model (2LT). I feel like I'm cheating on my car! I feel guilty because I feel like I should downgrade, not upgrade. I'm incredibly blessed that I was able to buy the car with the insurance money with just a smidgin left over!

On the way back, stopped at of Mooresville, Alabama. You can also visit this site. It is a quaint little town that dates back to the 1800's. You can read more about it at the above link! We toured the area and it was all nice and pretty. I took some pictures:


If you can't read that, you will have to zoom in! :)




 Mom took a picture of me with my new purchase in front of the church! 


This is a yard with what looks like an enclosed gazebo. I'm not sure what it's purpose was. Maybe a greenhouse?? It is not attached to the house.


The town also boasts of the oldest working post office in the state! I got a picture of the old fashioned mailbox:


This place was getting ready for a wedding so, I could not take a picture of it. I could only take a picture of the sign. The sign alone is gorgeous and the property is gorgeous also.

Coming home, Momma drove. I'm still squeamish about driving through Birmingham but, I will have to get used to it now ;) Anyway, Momma drove until we were on 231 South of Montgomery and she pulled over and let me drive. That is when I saw this cloud:


I drove through the torrential downpour. I had to face my fears of driving in rain. I just had to! You know the saying that if you fall off a horse you have to get back on or else you will be scared to get on a horse again? Well, it is the same principle! 

I drove until Troy and we stopped to see Chris. It's awful hard for me to drive through there and not see him! Afterward, I was gonna drive home but, I started yawning so, I pulled over so that Momma could drive the rest of the way! We got home at 9:30 Wednesday night! Driving all day sure makes for a long day! I am/was glad to be home with my new car!

The End!

2 comments:

  1. It's really unfortunate that your Chevy got totaled, Kate! Hopefully, you learned your lesson about driving and texting. Anyway, that's a beautiful new car, given that it's used as well. I mean, look at its condition. It's almost perfect, if you ask me. I hope you'll be more careful when driving from now on. All the best to you! :)

    Byron Walters @ Bob Dunn Subaru

    ReplyDelete
  2. Byron: I'm sorry that it was totaled too! I did learn my lesson and now my phone stays in the passenger seat. Thank you! I believe my car is beautiful (people even say that it is more beautiful than my first one). The gentleman's widow that I bought it from said that he only had the car 2 years. I was so blessed to be able to afford this car!

    How did you find this post? I'm just curious

    P.S. I'm sorry that I'm just no seeing this.

    ReplyDelete