Tuesday, May 1, 2012

A Day at the Office

Today, I had the chance of "shadowing" someone I know at the Dothan Eagle, a local newspaper. It was awesome!

Lance and I walked where we needed be to sit in on a City Commission meeting. It was very interesting to know what was going on in a neighboring city. A few of the items brought up for discussion were: trashy lots, the Civic Center needing renovating and the AHSAA (Alabama High School Athletics Association) coming to town. I don't think that I can tell you anything beyond that (even if I could, y'all would be bored) so, I'll just stick with what I have. The meeting lasted probably 1 1/2 hours but, it went on about 2 hours (roughly).

After that was finished and the interviews were done, we went back to the office and Lance took me on a tour of the newspaper office  It was very interesting to know how they print the newspaper and get it distributed.

Lance showed me how he would report on what went on at the meeting and how he would type it out. I asked lots of questions about protocol and I received lots of answers. Later on, he had to go to a meeting so, I decided that I would go home.


You know, I think that I have found my calling. True, I said that I had found my calling back in May of last year but, my teacher and several other people have told me that I would make a great writer and I myself absolutely love to write!

I can't wait to get another chance to shadow Lance again! It was so much fun! I'm not sure if he will read this but, THANKS Lance for letting me tag along with you today!! It was a blast!!

3 comments:

  1. How does a meeting last 1 1/2 hours and go on for 2 hours? I don't understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question. I was not very clear on that, was I? We had to meetings that day. The regularly scheduled Commission meeting and the non scheduled executive meeting. With ou the executive meeting, the Commission meeting would have lasted a 1 1/2. :) I hope that clears things up!

    ReplyDelete