Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Courting Customs in America

I'm reading a book called "Courting Customs in America" and I as read, I am finding stuff that I want to remember so, I'm writing it in my blog. The following is the introduction to the book:

When the settlers first arrived on the shores off the new world, courting customs were simple and easy to follow. It would be later in American history that more complicated courting rituals would develop.

For many couples, courtship was devoted to disclosing personal faults and dissecting their reason for marriage. They considered romance and passion childish and unreliable motives for marriage and instead sought love that was more tender and rational.

Over time, the rituals of courtship changed and parental influence and involvement in the selection of their children's marriage partner visibly declined. Young women and Men were increasingly free to pick or reject a spouse with little parental interference. At the same time that courtship grew free, however, marriage became an increasingly difficult transition point, particularly for women, and more and more women elected not to marry at all.

Originally, laws were passed in this country that gave parents "the care and power ... for the disposing of their children in marriage." Through the changes in courtship customs and social attitudes, marriage became an option for women and not a necessity.

Through all of this, many colorful courtship customs developed. Many have since then become outdated or have simply "fallen out of custom." Still others survive to this very day ... For example: the offering of a ring from a man to a women to establish the beginning of the 'engagement' phase of their relationship.

The study of courtship customs always provide food for thought. What was courting like back then? How has it changed to this day in time?

I will write more as I read more of the book.

2 comments:

  1. Where did you get this book? I read all your post from it and it sound really interesting. Who wrote it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not done reading the book so, all the posts are not done. As to where I got it .... I got it at Landmark Park. Either in the Drug Store or the General Store. Its aprt of a series of books call "A remember when book". You can go to their website www.RememberWhenBooks.com

    ReplyDelete