Thursday, September 16, 2010

A Memorable Day ( that I dont care to repeat ever again!!!!!!!!!! )

It was 4:00 and I had just taken a empty peanut trailer to the end of the field and drove back to get a full load (at the opposite end from the road).

After Daddy had raked down the peanuts level enough to where they would not fall off, he gave me some last minute instructions: "Now, Kate, I want you to put the truck in 4 wheel low and get up speed quickly and go across the field at an angle to avoid the sand trap." It was 4:08 by the time I got started.

As I was gaining speed, I noticed that tires were spinning in the sand of the field. The tires could not get traction. Finally, they stopped spinning and I was zooming towards the end of the field. I suddenly felt the trailer sliding from side to side. I looked back and it WAS sliding from side to side. Something (or someone) told me to slow down (and I am glad that I did). Then, another snag in the plan!! There were some plowed up peanuts still lying on the ground (waiting to be picked) where I needed to go!!

I should point out that Daddy does not like anyone to drive over plowed up peanuts

Then, I told myself, if I can just gain the traction of the grass then the tires would stop spinning, the trailer would stop swaying from side to side and I can get out of the field. I went to turn and then, it happened!!!!!

I was in the process of jack knifing!!!!!!!!!

I quickly sent up a silent prayer then, did the only thing that I could think of. I pressed the brakes and I held the steering wheel very still. The trailer went straight and I still mashed the brakes and then the truck was being pushed by the trailer. I was pushed sideways.

I jack knifed!!!!!!!!!!!

After the dust had settled, I called Daddy and I said: "Daddy, I don't know what I just did but, I think that I just jack knifed!! He said ok and he said that he was coming.

I got out of the truck and my knees were shaking and I just sat down and cried. Not tears of sorrow because I thought that Daddy would be mad at me but, tears of joy that I was ok.

When everything was said and done and I called Daddy it was 4:13.


Upon looking back on it, if I had not of listened to the voice inside myself and turned later that I did, I would have landed in a very deep ditch (that I was only 50 feet away from when I jack knifed) and possibly would not have lived to tell this story. The peanut trailer could have turned over spilling millions of peanuts and in turn flipped the truck over and would have squished me.


I am very grateful to the Lord for letting me live!!!! I praised Him in the field and I still am praising Him. All day long, I have sung the song: "Count your blessings name them one by one"


Anyway, just wanted to tell y'all of my experience!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment